About Saturn & Its Moons
Magnetosphere - Science Objectives
Objectives related to seasonal change in the Saturn System:
• Determine temporal variability of Enceladus' plumes.
• Observe Saturn's magnetosphere over a solar cycle, from one solar minimum to the next.
• Observe seasonal variation of Titan's ionosphere, from one Solstice to the next.
Objectives related to new questions raised during Cassini's primary mission:
• Determine the dynamics of Saturn's magnetotail.
• Conduct in situ studies of Saturn's ionosphere.
• Investigate magnetospheric periodicities, their coupling to the ionosphere, and how SKR period is imposed from close to planet (3-5 Rs) out to deep tail.
• Determine the coupling between Saturn's rings and ionosphere.