Follow this link to skip to the main content

International Edition Winners 2011: Pakistan, Target 3, 9-10

International Edition Winners 2011: Pakistan, Target 3, 9-10


Naseer Ahmed
Saturn
Saturn
Naseer Ahmed

9th Grade
Beacon House School
Lahore, Pakistan




"As I evaluate, my choice is the target 3 for further research in Cassini Solstice mission. Though important information had been revealed since the Cassini mission's, beginning in 2004 but there are still some facts that could be written in the chapter of the solar system.

There are many motives that can support my point of view. The other two targets are the moons of this planet and studying them can also provide us with useful information but as the planet has more aspects to discover, my choice is target 3 for examining it with Cassini's high definition cameras.

The first motive which elaborates the significance of the target 3 is that since 2004 when Cassini was launched towards the space, the season of the planet has been the same till now. As far as the seasons of Saturn are concerned they change every 7 earthly years and now in 2011 is the time of their change. So now is the most appropriate time for Cassini to examine Saturn as they can now study the other season with extraordinary exploration opportunities.

The second explanation in favor of my target is the features of this season. We could only view the storms in the southern hemisphere e.g. the dragon storm. But now the shadows of the rings of Saturn are projected on the southern hemisphere, so we have the opportunity to reveal the storms that take place in the northern hemisphere.

Before this mission, important information about Saturn was gained through the Voyager which went up in 1980. From then onwards, the most detailed image of Saturn was taken on 6th October in 2004. There are Cassini's extraordinary contributions through which we know about Saturn today, like the Saturn is surrounded by three rings. Two of which are bright and the remaining one is a little dull in colour. The planet does not possess any surface like earth and the core is surrounded by gases like hydrogen and helium. 98 percent of the environment is made up of hydrogen while remaining 2 percent is helium. The wind blows at very high speed here and the planet completes one orbit around sun in almost 29.5 years. The planet is also one of the Jovian. This word is used to specify the planets which possess characteristics like Jupiter. So, how we got to know about this? The answer is no doubt the NASA's Cassini solstice mission.

A review of history tells us that this mission has been extremely explorative. It has provided the world with facts that it never knew about. So, keeping the project's history in mind, this extremely informative era should not go in vain and the efforts must go on for further exploration that might claim an even more significant place in the history of science. Indeed, NASA's tireless efforts made this project a milestone in the study of solar system."